Monday, October 6, 2008

An interesting piece on scrapbooking

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I think a lot about scrapbooking. I wonder how it has become what it is today. I wonder (especially since I sell products) what will happen to it in the future, especially if the economy continues to falter.

I do not see it as a frivlous act, I believe in the importance of recording and sharing one's stories. I also love the community it creates.

What I don't know is how I feel about the fanciful celebrity of it all. I mean, do I really need the latest and "greatest" product, paper or embellishment? I like to be innovative and creative (creativity is probably the other big reason I scrapbook. Being creative makes me happy), but do pages need to be perfect to be important or satisfying?

I came across this post today. Be warned, the site from which this comes is kind-of snarky, but they have their purpose. And I found today's post important and in line with my reasons for scrapping. Check it out and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Kelley said...

I completely agree. I include "junk" in my books that other people wouldn't dare allow under their page protectors but it's what I want to leave for my kids/grandkids to look at. I am probably not going to have boxes of junk for them to rummage through, not knowing what in the world it all is, so my scrapbooks are where they can rummage AND know what is important to me (and hopefully them too).

Anonymous said...

Very true. It's all about the scraps, right? But I think the designer papers and accents will always have their appeal. We are attracted to beauty, and we want to create beauty. We have to find that balance between art and story (and lately, for me, time and energy!).